Thursday, August 12, 2010

You know your not in Oklahoma any more when.....

*you use the sandbags outside your hootch as patio decoration
*you are glad Senator Kerry is in town because it means better food in the Dining Facility
*going to the "Little Prince" in Dari is almost the highlight of your week
*going in an armored vehicle to a hotel where you have to pass through 3 check points to eat off of real plates is truly the highlight of your week
* not thinking anything of standing on the streets of Kabul-outside the green zone to pick up your delivery is Indian food doesn't seem "that" bad
*whether or not your staff come in the next day is based on the new moon

Greetings from Kabul!!! All is well here. Continue to work hours that would wear out mere mortals...not those of us in the biggest, busiest and baddest Embassy in the World!!

I have been lucky enough to get off compound a number of times. We are "allowed" to walk 10 minutes to the military compound on certain days of the week. It makes me laugh because the regulations tell us we are not to run along this route. Let me tell you-if someone starts chasing me I am running and breaking every regulation known to man!! The route is very well protected and we never get out into the real world, and it leads us to the land of carpets!

I did get out into the "real world" three (yes 3) times last week. The first evening was to see a play in the local language of Dari. We sat out in a courtyard on pillows and had wonderful AFghan desserts. I found it very surreal that when the Blackhawks flew over the play managed to go on-while drowning out the actors. This has become a fact of life. I wish I could describe what it feels like to drive through the streets of Kabul. You realize that your life is in the hands of someone (the local driver) who makes $16,000 a year. Life is going on as normal, even though we couldn't even comprehend normal as Afghans know it, while at the same time you never quite know the intentions of the guy on the motor scooter as he pulls up next to you. Afghans in the rural areas put there lives in danger every day when they come to work at the American bases. Without sounding trite-thank your lucky stars you are an American. Especially since Afghans have a propensity to wear shiny suits!!

I also got to go to 2 "local" restaurants last week. I am not sure how local they are when they serve wine ($75.00 a bottle) and take dollars! I do love to eat off of real plates and drink fizzy water! The altitude does take its toll-or maybe it is just me being out of shape as I breath heavily after climbing one flight of stairs.

One last quick story. This evening we ordered food from the local Indian restaurant. In order to pick up the food you have to walk off compound to one of the busiest "traffic circles" in the area. I had to realize the absolute absurdity of the situation as 6 Americans merrily walked out to the circle, paid the driver and argued over whether he had brought enough garlic naan!! Let me tell you that was the best garlic naan I had ever tasted!!

Off to my safe hooch-going to go back to carpet shopping tomorrow.

3 long weeks till football season!!

No comments: