Saturday, July 24, 2010

You know you are in a war zone when.....

*your office is bigger than your living space
*you wonder if the loud noise you just heard was your neighbor slamming their door or incoming, and if it is the latter would it be worth getting out of bed?
*you know it is the weekend because you can wear capri's to work
*after one luke warm shower too many you begin dreaming about a new hot water heater
*if you spot Lucky Charms in the DFAC (dining facility) and can get to them without losing your dignity you know it is going to be an awesome day, if you lose your dignity....well it will be just one of those days!

Just a few observations as my one week anniversary is upon me! I arrived in Kabul last Sunday with much less fanfare than Secretary of State Clinton. But I digress, I left Washington DC after a couple of great weeks. I got to reunite with my fabulous high school prom date and had many a fun evening reliving the good old days. Jolynn came to visit and we were proud Americans and sat on the steps of the National Archives to listen to the Declaration of Independence being read (goose bump inducing). We topped off the 4th by watching the fireworks over the Washington Monument. After finish my final training I headed out to Dulles airport with 2 of the worlds heaviest bags. Luckily the nice lady at the gate took pity on me and upgraded me to business class, as the flight is 14 hours and Afghan air was in my near future I was practically giddy. Once I had boarded I tried out all of the cool gadgets unique to business class and promptly fell asleep in my reclining chair. Upon arrival in Dubai I headed over to the Raffles-after all I needed one last night in luxury! The Raffles was AWESOME. The floor had its own butler and a bathtub almost big enough to snorkel in (and the thought did cross my mind). After a rather sleepless night I was ready for the next step in my latest adventure. It seems as though Safi (Afghan Air) has a very stringent excess bag policy and I had to pay a pretty penny to be able to even check my bags. A rather auspicious start to the day. I was glued to the window as we flew over Afghanistan-I have to say it is a rather dull landscape-pretty much brown land next to brown mountains. Upon arrival we cleared customs and headed out to baggage claim-my bags were the LAST off the plane. After paying a kings ransom to get them on the plane I would have not been happy to never see my only possessions ever again. Once through an additional security check (still don't quite understand why it is necessary to go through security to arrive in Kabul...one of lifes unanswered questions) it was into the reality that is Kabul. There was an Afghan gentleman with an American flag standing just outside the gate-so pleased that we are keeping a low profile. After blindly following him to the car I realized anyone could be standing there with a picture of an American flag! I was rather surprised as we piled into the car and headed out to the Embassy. We drove right through down town Kabul-and I have to admit not much could have prepared me for life on the mean streets of Kabul. It is chaos-makes Cairo look like a small midwestern town. Goats in the streets, kids riding goats in the streets, motor bikes, bikes, other cars, a round about in which there are NO rules and everyone wants to be somewhere else and doesn't know how to get there, women in burqas, carts being pulled by mules full of watermelon. It was absolutely amazing. I felt very safe other than the fear we were going to hit a goat (and then the fear it would be dinner). We arrived safely on compound and I was very pleased that the HR folks were there to greet me and carry my excessive baggage home.

More later-still trying to recover from the 8.5 hours time difference, the 6,000+ altitude and working 12 hour days (continuing to save the world one HR problem at a time...)

Thanks to Shannon for the gentle nudge reminding me to write!

No comments: