Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Kabul or bust PT II

Getting ready to move to Kabul takes some special preparation and training. It is recommended that we all have a "GO" bag. A bag that you have ready in case we need to "GO" quickly. Of course this is causing me some consternation. For those of you that now me-I can't make it to Paris (after months of preparation) for the weekend with both my tooth brush and tooth paste how am I going to be able to leave on a minutes notice???? So I am trying to prepare my "GO" bag early. So far my "GO" bag list has the following essentials (according to Jamie): BIG XII football schedule (which of course will be updated to the BIG XII basketball schedule depending on the time of year, a girl has to be prepared). twizzlers (after all they can be either a straw or a snack), money (a girl has to shop-even on the go), ID, a 2 liter bottle of diet coke and either a tooth brush or tooth paste (I don't think I have ever managed to make it on a trip with both so I figure why start now??)

Last week we had a week of intense training to help prepare us to work in austere conditions. Some of the topics we covered: medical training (if conducting CPR make sure you are compressing to the beat of "Staying Alive"), how and where to place a tourniquet, how to pack a wound, please note I learned all of this before lunch. We got to practice in full battle rattle-a helmet and PPE vest. I thought it was impossible to have more fun than learning to save limbs but the fun was just beginning. We loaded up and headed out of town to familiarize ourselves with guns and learn defense driving. I was very relieved to have learned first aid before heading to the gun range. I have to say much to my surprise I loved the gun range. Two years of tensions relieved in a matter of minutes! I do want to put your fears to rest, I will NOT be packing heat while in Kabul. After shooting 3 hand guns and an AK 47 I was exhausted and bruised! The recoil on the AK 47 was impressive-this helped to realize I am more of a Glock type of girl. I wonder if they come in pink?? Once again the fun was only just beginning-stay tuned for further details......

2 comments:

Scott B. said...

Academy sells a purple .25 caliber Ruger. You could paint it pink.

Unknown said...

Do you want me to pack your GO bag & mail it to you?