Monday, August 23, 2010

Is it Monday? Does it really matter if it is Monday????

Greetings from Kabul-where I think it is Monday. Of course it really doesn't matter if it is Monday except that the reruns of Big Brother are on somewhere on AFN (you know you are in a war zone when you look forward to watching Big Brother....).

I guess the big news is that I have offered to extend in the garden spot known to the rest of the world as Kabul, whether or not they are willing to keep me is the big question! I think there is concern that I will, by myself, manage to cause the price of Afghan rugs to sky rocket.

I wish I had something exciting to write, but when all you do is work (or as I like to say "save the world one HR problem at a time) and buy rugs it is difficult to find fodder for blogging.

One of the most important aspects of life in Kabul is housing. I am currently living in a container, affectionately known as hooches, that is smaller than my office (but of course I deserve my large, corner office as I am saving the world one HR problem at a time....), I have 3.5 minutes of hot water for every shower-I have learned to shampoo in the evening and condition in the morning, I have to admit there are days when lathering up can be considered a luxury. However, I am luckier than some-there are some people are sharing hooches. Which would then mean 1.75 minutes of hot water per person..but I digress. There are a finite number of apartments available, and I am number 23 on the apartment list. Now keep in mind getting to #1 on the apartment list does not mean I would be roommate free, they have started "splitting" apartments, which means you would have your own room (with a *gasp* a carpet) and share the bathroom (with *gasp* hot water) and a kitchen. I have recently realized the people that go to the top of the apartment lists are married couples-which of course has gotten me to thinking. I could easily kill two birds with one stone: If I were to marry some poor unsuspecting gentleman on the apartment list I would a) get an apartment b) make my mother happy! Sadly this brings me to the unspoken mantra of the single females of Kabul "the odds are good-but the goods are odd" So, unless Peyton Manning somehow ends up single and in Kabul I will stick with my # 23 on the list.

Off to watch the end of Big Brother and dream of a world of bathtubs and carpets.

No comments: