Monday, July 21, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away

I don't think I remember the last time I saw the sun. It feels like a dreary spring. I can't imagine what spring will really be like. I am thinking a trip to Portugual or Italy is in my future. Of course this is after my weekend adventure to the Tour De France!! I am so excited. I am taking the high speed train on Friday after work and will come back Sunday evening. I wonder how many lemon tarts I can eat in a 48 hour period?
Life is very interesting in Holland. I went to Amsterdam on a business trip on Friday (In all my years I never dreamed those words would come out of my mouth!)I have a musuem pass and it is so nice being able to walk into the museums for just a few minutes and see Rembrandt's and Van Gogh's. Of course this is as long as the fumes don't get you on the way in. I was worried we would have a drug test this week-just walking around A'dam (as the cool people call it) is enough to give you the munchies. As much as I enjoy living here there are some frustrations. Most stores close at 18:00 except for Thursday night where they stay open until 20:00-which is happy hour night so not much shopping gets done on Thursdays. Stores are closed on Sunday and most of Monday. I do wonder how stores make money and stay in business but I guess it has worked for years without me throwing in my 2 cents.
Work is good-very busy. We are getting ready for the Ambassador's arrival. He will get here end of the month which will be interesting. Chances are I will get to "break in" another Ambassador before I leave post. I must say Foreign Service folks are very social. Alot of activites revolve around the Marine House. We have a group of Marines that work at the Embassy-but they have a very distinct job. They are here to protect the documents and not the people! We heard that 100's of times during training. What it means is that if the need to evacuate post (in Holland that might be due to a cheese shortage) the Marines are responsible for any documents or materials disposal. Anyway the Marine House is where all of the Marines live-for this duty they must all be single (I am old enough to be their mother) but they have a bar and an event once or twice a month. Those events are usually supplemented by Happy Hours so I keep pretty busy.

That's all from here-more after the Tour!

No comments: