Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July from Dublin!!!

Good morning!

I just arrived in Dublin and have already created the ultimate tourist faux pas....I took a picture of my lunch! I went to a "typical" Irish restaurant (full of American tourists!!) and ordered Irish stew and it was very good and very picturesque. It was also beef, probably the first time I have had beef since I have been overseas. Not much beef to be found in the Netherlands, I also can't find cheddar cheese! There is EVERY kind of Gouda and Edam but not a bit of cheddar!

I now have my first official 4th of July function under my belt. On Tuesday we had the official party, Dutch Parliament is out today and there was concern that the attendance would be way down if we had it today-which was great for me! It was held at the official residence-of course I had already been there to have tea with the staff....I didn't realize official functions would be such hard work! Being gracious for 3 hours is hard work! I met two of my "contacts" so it was well worth it. The day dawned bright and blue and I remember thinking, it is just as well we didn't bother with the giant tent in the back yard this year it isn't going to rain! Everyone stood around and drank beer and wine for an hour until it was time for the Marines to raise the flag. As soon as the Marines started across the lawn there was a deluge of rain! Everyone started to run towards the house, as we were going up the stairs my heel caught on the steps and I lost my shoe! I had visions of being trampled as if I was at Woodstock...luckily I made it under cover with both of my shoes and my dignity! During the afternoon I must have been asked 10 times who I thought would win the election and I responded "according to CNN it is a statistical dead heat, we will all find our in November" talk about being diplomatic! (I guess my 6 months in DC weren't wasted!) With my luck if I had given an opinion the headline the next day would read "American official predicts November election! Our Ambassador arrives on August 1st which is going to be very interesting as all Ambassador's political appointees or career appointees will turn in a resignation on the day of the inauguration.

I had better get back on to the streets of Dublin. I am hoping my internet is on when I get home. My phone isn't working here so I am not able to call my neighbor to see if they came to install it today.

Have a happy 4th!

No comments: