Monday, November 22, 2010

Preparing for a Charlie Brown Kabul Thanksgiving

First and foremost to all you Cowboy fans, who would have thought we would have one loss in November? I do heart my Cowboys!! I have spent many a late evening, early morning pacing (2 steps each way) my hooch as I listen or watch my beloved Cowboys work their way to 10-1! There are a number of OU fans here (I have emphatically stated that THIS is the only place in the world I would be friends with one of them) and I am doing my best not to talk to much trash this week (once you make the "I'll shave my head if we lose" bet you really learn your lesson) but I am ready for Bedlam!!

On to more important issues (no, I have not found a cupcake supplier) as you all know Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Luckily I have a dear friend who has opened her home to 16 of her closest friends and we are preparing for a Charlie Brown Kabul Thanksgiving (not to be confused with the upcoming Kabul Christmas Extravaganza). The saying "it takes a village" takes on a new meaning when preparing for a Charlie Brown Kabul Thanksgiving, unfortunately net grocer does not seem to be cooperating. Currently a stalk of celery is trading for a kings ransom and I have resorted to taking an extra tablespoon of sour cream at each meal so I can prepare my famous corn bread casserole. I have also resorted to trading in my Google stock for two cans each of cream corn and regular corn. I won't even get started on the Turkey's, lets just say thank goodness I had Thanksgiving in June! I was contemplating making eggnog but feared it would only end in tears.

Now for the Kabul Christmas Extravaganza....a small group of us have decided to meet the holiday head on and we are having a Christmas slumber party (don't worry it will be chaperoned) at a friends house. The evening will begin with caroling, Christmas poppers, Christmas movies, stockings and matching pajama's. Christmas morning we will move to another friends house for a fabulous Christmas brunch (maybe in matching pajama's, maybe not) and additional frivolity. I know many of you are now jealous and wish you too could be a part of the Kabul Christmas Extravaganza...but it is an exclusive club (maybe for a stalk of celery you could buy your way in).

In order to prepare for the upcoming Christmas season (and my vacation to Thailand and Cambodia) I have begun the couch to 5K program (seeing as I don't own a couch I have dubbed it Hooch to 5K). Hooch to 5K is a program you can download onto your iPod which trains you to run a 5K. It hasn't been easy and some mornings I fear that my ruking (running/walking) is responsible for some of the recent tremors in Afghanistan. But I am determined to meet my goal!

I leave in 10 days for a short trip to Thailand and Cambodia. Fear not, there are no camels to be found in Thailand (elephants are said to be much gentler). I am meeting a friend and we are going to explore Bangkok and then head to a camping/biking trip near Angwar Wat. She has assured me that after Jordan she has taken a basic EMT class and we should be fine!

Happy Thanksgiving and Go Pokes!

No comments: