Friday, January 1, 2010

Another New Year, Another Resolution!

I seem to remember making the resolution last year that I would be better at keeping my blog up to date. Unfortunately, as with most of my other resolutions, that did not seem to happen. Why don't I try this again????

I just returned from an absolutely fantastic trip to Jordan. Jordan (especially Petra) has always been on my "bucket" list. When I thought my next posting would not be anywhere near Jordan I convinced a friend to join me in leaving winter in The Hague behind and heading to Jordan. I had been looking forward to this trip for months and was worried it would not live up to expectations....the trip was fantastic and not only lived up to but exceeded all expectations!!! If you ever have the chance to get to Jordan the country is amazing. As always when traveling there is one major draw back: toilet paper is considered a luxury not a necessity! Of course this is easily remedied. I think the best part are the marriage proposals! My friend and I each had an offer..we joked that our guide would be the marriage broker. My friend was worth 150 camels and I was distraught to find out that I was worth 2 camels and a kidney!! If only the bedouin had realized how knowledgeable about all things to do with Cowboy sports I would like to think I would have brought in 5 camels and a pancreas....sigh....

We left Amsterdam on Christmas day and were welcomed to Jordan with enthusiastic "Merry Christmas" greetings. We had a guide who also acted as our driver- the poor man had the patience of a Saint, he carried our shopping, answered all of our questions as well as insisted we hold out for goats to go with our offer of camels and kidneys! He probably needs a vacation from our vacation, but he helped make the trip to Jordan one of my favorites! Our first day consisted of a trip through Amman, up to an ancient Castle and through the ancient ruins of Jerash and then over to the Citadel to see some of the dead sea scrolls. We then had a typical Jordanian dinner-it was possible to have hommous for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I took full advantage. It was fantastic to actually see blue sky and the sun!! The next morning we concluded our tour of Amman and drove past the Embassy and saw the modern part of Amman. The homes were huge and a world away from the older part of Amman we had seen the day before. Everywhere you looked you saw a picture of the very popular King Abdullah. Spotting new and different pictures of the King became a favorite past time of mine-the poses varied from cheering on the Jordanian soccer team, a plethora of pictures in military uniforms and with his family. I was tempted with a life size rug with the picture of the King's face but decided it would have to wait! We headed out of town, saw world famous mosiacs, Mt. Nebo (where Moses first saw the promised land) and shopped!!! Upon hearing that the Dead Sea products will make you look 20 years younger I pulled out the VISA! If only they could make you look 20 pounds lighter! After filling up the trunk of our car our long suffering guide dropped us off at the Dead Sea for 2 nights.

After starting the day with hummous we moved down to the hotels private rocky beach on the Dead Sea. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip!!! Prior to "floating" in the Dead Sea one must slather on the Dead Sea mud (still hoping to look 20 pounds lighter!) then it is time to wade into the Dead Sea. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words so I have included a picture-you literally float. The Sea has so much salt that you can't even walk in the water-you are carried away! I have never laughed so hard!!! It was a great time....it is recommended that you only stay in the water for 15 minutes or you will be dehydrated!

More to follow tomorrow (one must slowly wade into resolutions + dinner is ready!)

No comments: