Saturday, June 14, 2008

Hallo from Amsterdam

Greetings-

I decided to pop into Amsterdam for the day before picking my parents up from the airport. I won't have internet connection until June 24th so when I saw the opportunity to post a quick blog I took advantage. I do want to make it clear that any errors in typing or spelling come from a European style of keyboard not from anything that is offered in Amsterdam!!

All is orange in Holland so I feel very much at home! The Euro Cup is on and Holland is shocking the world! They won the first match against Italy in convincing fashion on Monday. I had the tv on in one room and was doing something elsewhere in the apartment when I start hearing all sorts of loud noise from outside-I thought I was going to have to duck and cover and start preparing to evacuate when I realized Holland had just scored a goal! If you look out on the streets during a game there is not a soul in site. Last night they beat France (and Who doesn't like to beat France!) so they are automatically in the quarterfinals-very exciting stuff! I made alot of friends when I wore some of my orange this week to work! (Orange is the national color).

I must say I felt very civilized last week when I rode the tram home from work, got off with my reusable shopping back, stopped in to at the local Cheese monger, purchased my cheese for the week, moved on to the bakery and bought some bread and finally stopped in at the local grocery store to finish my shopping. I then loaded up my reusable bag and started walking home. I felt so very Dutch. I have decided this should be the newest diet rage: you only eat what you can carry! It does make a difference in what you buy when you realize you must carry it home. (Thank goodness chocolate doesn't weigh very much!) I could have also stopped at the Herring stand for my freshly gutted herring covered in onions and eaten in one bite but I decided that there is not enough Heineken in Holland for me to take a chance on Herring!

I haven't ridden my bike yet BUT I have unlocked it and walked it around the parking lot. I haven't had a chance to register for local health care so I figure I had better wait until I do that before I begin biking.....I will be a pro before this is all over.

Well my 15 minutes on the internet are up. I am looking forward to having company for a week and hopefully my household goods will arrive while I have an extra pair of hands.

More later....

No comments: